"" Running Rabbit: U of L versus U of K Today
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

U of L versus U of K Today

Today is the date of the latest version of the Louisville vs Kentucky basketball rivalry. I'll be watching intently from start to finish; so don't call during the game this afternoon, I'll be busy.

I left the following comment at the Courier-Journal this morning:

Looking forward to the game, this is always the most exciting day of the year (of the regular schedule), and it is the only time when I don't pull for the Kentucky Wildcats to win. I know, I know, some of you will be appalled at the very thought that I can pull for both squads, (unless they are playing one another), but that is how it has been for for over 45 years, I won't be changing any time soon.

As a kid, sitting court side with the U of L stats crew, I was privileged to see some the greats from both programs up close during the sixties. Issel, Unseld, Butch Beard, Mike Casey and so many others from those years would come charging at me as I sat behind one of the baskets with the men collecting all the data for that game. My only job was to run the mimeographed stat sheets to those seated along press row at halftime and the end of the game. The rest of the time I was free to enjoy some of the best basketball around.

Today, I'll acknowledge all the good play, but I say Go Cards!


The comment boards at the newspaper, and the level of banter within Kentucky, is often beyond spiteful; so I have made it my mission to be one of the voices that celebrates the sport. Those that resort to tearing down the other team, and its fans, serve no good purpose. I do not fear being the lone voice of reason within that wilderness. But, I also must report that others share my view. It is sometimes hard to locate them, the din created by the hateful and immature is almost overwhelming, but they do exist and the more I offer my voice the more I seem to hear others share their reasonable approach too. So, those of us who truly appreciate the game of basketball have that going for us; and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.