"" Running Rabbit: On Hearing The Wrong Words
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Monday, December 27, 2021

On Hearing The Wrong Words

 I recently read an amusing story about someone who spent most of his youth under the impression that the quote "Knowledge is power" was the first half of a paired concept with France is bacon being the appropriate follow up. Two concepts? Or, the second supports and explains the first half? Hearing it allowed for a confusion that was only remedied, as the story went, when finally it was seen written out.

"Knowledge is power"- Francis Bacon.

I suspect we have all done that. I know I have. Song lyrics come to mind. There was a particular section of the Elton John Rocket Man song that I simply could not hear correctly and thus invented words that may have worked for the situation. Alas, I eventually found the actual lyric. It must be a common human experience, I believe.

So common it turns out that there are actually names for various types of this mistake. I am tempted to write 'click hear' as I link to an entertaining article which explains. Instead I'll place it after this paragraph without the trite spelling. Try it.

CLICK HERE

And, add to your vocabulary these words:

Mondegreen

Eggcorn

Oronym

The McGurk Effect

And with that I say, chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.