"" Running Rabbit: Angel And The Dream
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Angel And The Dream


Angel McCoughtry, learn that name.




I came to know of her when she played for the University of Louisville Women's basketball team. Now she is a Pro. A number one draft pick after her senior season. And she keeps getting better and better.

Last night she led her Atlanta Dream squad to the WNBA Finals; I'm believing she will lead them to the Title as well. But, even in the Louisville newspaper they forget to mention her. When I learned this morning, on television, that she had scored 42 points (an WNBA playoffs record) and her team was headed to the Finals I was flabbergasted, her anonymity within the sports pages had lead me to believe her team was already eliminated; when in reality they had been tearing through the Eastern Conference from a 4th seed to win the tournament. As I normally do each morning I looked at the local paper in Louisville for their story on her feats; nothing, not one word. I chose to send the Courier-Journals my snide reaction to her absence from their morning paper.

I notice in your online paper this morning the lack of notice of Angel McCoughtry's outstanding performance last night. You may remember her, she starred in basketball for the University of Louisville just a few years ago. Well, last night she scored a personal best 42 points in leading her professional team, the Atlanta Dream, to the WNBA finals.

I follow your paper regularly from my home in Florida, and I haven't seen her name mentioned for quite some time. So, let me give you some perspective on what last night means. It means we have the female equivalent of when Wes Unseld led the Bullets to the Finals (and a Championship) to add to the town's basketball resume. And that is a big deal. The Courier Journal should assign one of its reporters to follow this story, and then CJ should print what is learned with pride.

And the hometown Louisville newspaper isn't the only one who is forgetting to remember her:

Last night while watching Angel McCoughtry drop 42 points on the New York Liberty in the Eastern Conference Finals, Bethlehem Shoals of AOL Fanhouse said something that caught me off guard.

"Why have you never told me about this woman?"

I was at a loss for words for a few moments while frantically trying to scan the numerous winding conversations we'd had about basketball for just one mention of McCoughtry. I couldn't think of one time where we'd discussed her. Even during the NBA All-Star game when she played in the celebrity game.

And that's just bizarre -- McCoughtry is obviously a player I've had on my radar for a while.






Now you have heard the name.
She is a winner!
A dream come true.
And, perhaps the player that revolutionizes the WNBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.