"" Running Rabbit: Singularity, friend or foe?
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Singularity, friend or foe?

Singularity is one of those words I come across and wonder its meaning. So, I looked it up today.

And, lo and behold it isn't descriptive of my social life for the last two decades; who knew? In fact, while staying single may have been one of the smart things I have done lately, it doesn't reflect superhuman intelligence. And that, superhuman intelligence, is at the heart of the concept of Singularity.

My small brain understands it to be a predicted point in time when artificial intelligence (computers, and such) become smarter than humans. And, the study of Singularity comprises the potential for such occurrence and speculation as to the consequences of such actually happening. And now my head hurts. Not that I don't think it is an important discussion, I am not trying to be snarky, it is just one of those topics that needs group discussion. What's the use in developing brilliant insights if there is nobody to share them. Of course, the folks gathering for the annual Singularity Summit understand.

I do wonder though; when smarter than human intelligence is achieved, who will be the smart ass who recognizes its existence? And, how do we know it isn't already here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.