"" Running Rabbit: Anne's Book
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Anne's Book



This past January/February I fulfilled a long dreamed of quest and completed the ninety-nine mile Wilderness Waterway (click "view map" to see location) in a canoe. I was once asked what I treasure most about that experience. I surprised myself and my interviewer by responding, the people I met. It surprised me because I am not known to be gregarious. It surprised the other fellow because I was describing a place devoid of development and in his mind people. But there were others out there too, fellow adventurers, fellow admirers of that natural wonder that is the Everglades.

My favorite night of the trip was the one which I shared with Holly and Anne, (pictured right), two lovely ladies who were coupling their joy for that environment with their passion to write a book about the Waterway. I am still awaiting news of that book's publication. I am also awaiting the season when the bugs allow me to return to the WW. In the meantime I am contenting myself reading Anne's poems in Ecology II. I'll share one stanza from her poem, The Drydown, to entice you to read more.

In sawgrass and marl the gator swings his tail, thrashes out
a damp domain
where birds, raccoon and Panther come. He is lord of the truce
and its inevitable breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.