"" Running Rabbit: Women, Aim Higher
DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT A BLOG CAN EXIST WITHOUT TRAFFIC, AND PROOF THAT SUCH CONCEPT IS WORKABLE, IS IN THE WORKS HERE, AND SHALL CONTINUE ON IN OBSCURITY FOR PERPETUITY.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Women, Aim Higher

I just discovered an article which puts Anita Hill on a pedestal and holds her up as an icon of sexual harassment in the workplace elimination. I find that elevation of this woman to be ludicrous; and below is the comment I left to announce my rejection of her as a pioneer in that field. Take it for what its worth, but even she says she never meant her testimony to serve as charges against her former boss.

Anita Hill just wants everyone to be clear. A few seconds into my question about her "allegations" concerning Clarence Thomas during his 1991 Supreme Court confirmation hearings, she politely, but firmly, interjects.

"When you say 'allegations,' it suggests that I was bringing some kind of claim against someone," she says, apologizing for the interruption. "That was not the case. I was giving testimony about my experience of working for an individual, testimony that read to the character and the qualification of an individual who was going to be sitting on the highest court of the country and given a lifetime appointment to that court. A lot of people have been confused by this kind of language -- 'allegations' and 'trial.' People start to ask whether I proved my case. Then they say, 'Wait a minute. If she didn't prove it, then why do we even care about it?' "

All hail Anita Hill, he said sarcastically, the Twana Brawley of Washington DC. The lesson here, little girls, is; perpetuate a fraud and get yourself respectability among those who buy into your ruse.

Monica Lewinsky did more to promote sexual harassment in the workplace awareness. No, let me correct that, because it was Linda Tripp who brought our attention to actual proof of sexual harassment in the workplace, Lewinsky gets credit for keeping that blue dress. (Unfortunately, the boss doing the harassment was never really held to pay for his crime, and today is well respected among those who now promote workplace harassment issues, like, no doubt, the author of this article),

Hill's testimony was decidedly unbelievable, she continued for years in the employ of the man she accused when she had chances to leave, the examples she offered of harassment were ridiculous. In fact, she is ridiculous.

Young ladies, look elsewhere for inspiration, Hill's is no example to follow. Read a biography of Madame Curie instead. Focus on achievement and don't let yourself to get bogged down in the petty squabbles of sexual harassment charlatans. You are better than that.


I have little experience with sexual harassment in the workplace, as a man some would say I don't even qualify to be harassed. So, despite my incredible good looks it workplace sexual harassment has never held me back. And, I am skeptical that it has been a hindrance to a large enough percentage of women to justify all the hubbub, though I leave open the possibility that I am wrong about that. But, I don't think so. I see many woman dress it up to use their sexual power to their advantage, within and outside of the workplace, to know that human nature says sex is going to be a part of any human contact. And it wouldn't surprise me, if such a study could be done in a truly independent manner, that there is more sexual harassment by those who tease in order to get ahead than by those who suggest in reaction to their notice of a potential sexual partner.

I repeat my last sentence from the comment, it sums it up, and sets the proper course for women to follow.

Young ladies, look elsewhere for inspiration, Hill's is no example to follow. Read a biography of Madame Curie instead. Focus on achievement and don't let yourself to get bogged down in the petty squabbles of sexual harassment charlatans. You are better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them. Please visit Running Rabbit Roundup again soon.